Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012. A year to RUN!!

Happy New Year! I really don't know where (or even HOW) to begin a blog. Not only am I a newbie to running, but I'm a newbie to blogging as well. A new year means new hobbies. Where to start? I decided to start running about 3 months ago. Not sure exactly what prompted me to set out on this insane adventure, but I've always had a slight desire to run. Why you ask? Health, muscle toning, good exercise that doesn't take much coordination, good stress reliever, etc., etc. I've always had a love/hate kind of relationship with running. I gave it a shot when I was about 12 years old when I joined the Cross Country team at school and amazingly made it through the entire season. I still remember the dreaded 4 mile practices at 6am and the embarrassing meets where I always came in last (or close to it). I did it for one year and vowed I would NEVER run again and anyone who runs for a "hobby" is simply crazy. There were a few times when I would give running a shot again, but never stuck with it. I always started out and less than 5 minutes later was thinking to myself "what the hell am I doing?", "this sucks", "how can anyone ENJOY this?!?!?!?!?!?!" I'm sure if you are like me and have a love/hate (or just a hate) relationship with running, you know exactly the kind of thoughts I'm talking about!!!! I would return home usually less than 20 minutes later and resort to my all out hate relationship with running. Somehow, since I've been running pretty regularly for the past 3 months, those thoughts STILL infiltrate my brain every time I set out on a run. One thing I have learned (and remind myself when I begin my run) is that THE FIRST MILE IS ALWAYS THE HARDEST. If you can make it past the first mile or two, it's almost like your body finally gives up and says "this crazy lady isn't going to stop so I may as well make the best of it".

I guess I'm starting this blog so I can document my journey, hopefully gain some accountability for meeting my goals, and maybe even inspire someone else to join the running revolution. My first goal is to finish a 10k under 60 minutes in April. I have completed two 5k's in the past two months and think it's time to set a more challenging goal. I'm not focusing right now on increasing my time, but rather my distance. Once I build up my endurance, then I will focus more on increasing my speed.

I know you have probably heard it before that "if I can do it, so can you", but I really mean it!! Don't be mistaken. I am no marathon runner (yet), but I have exceeded (barely) the 5 mile mark. I can vividly remember setting out on a run back in October and I couldn't even make it a 1/2 a mile. With that said, if I can do it, SO CAN YOU! Happy New Year everyone and Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment