Thursday, January 5, 2012

Lions and Tigers and Bears. Oh....and Mud.

Today was absolutely gorgeous. Bright and sunny, slightly windy, and a high temperature of around 50. My favorite place to run is outside and it was the PERFECT day to do it! I am contemplating participating in a 7.45 mile trail run this Saturday (crazy I know) and since I have NEVER ran on a trail (other than the one time I did a 5k through the woods and about died from exhaustion), I figured I should at least attempt one trail run prior to Saturday's adventure (should I decide to go through with it). I typically run on concrete and maybe it's just me, but I feel like running on grass is more challenging. So I'm guessing that 7.45 miles on a trail will feel more like 10 miles. I guess I still have about 33 hours to decide if I'm ready.

Downstate Illinois may not have oceans or mountains or palm trees or piers, but one thing we do have is some pretty awesome state parks full of beautiful trees, flowing rivers, and peaceful serenity. I decided to head to one of those parks today to set out on my trial trail run. As I pulled into the parking lot, I looked around and quickly noticed that I was the only person at this serene location. Now I know that most people would probably consider this a good thing. Truly getting away from it all and everyone involved in the all. However, I am not one of those people. I prefer the company of other homo sapiens. Being the dork exhausted mother of two small children that I am, I usually spend my Friday nights at home watching Dateline. Don't get me wrong, Dateline is a great show, which is why I watch it pretty regularly. With that said, Dateline is not a good show to watch if you ever plan on trail running....alone.

I picked a trail that I thought was going to be 4.67 miles. I figured this would be a good practice run for the big day coming up. I set off on the path and quickly discovered that the path veered off into about three different directions. Here I was. What I thought was going to be one pre-determined path had quickly become three. I looked for signs to direct me, but there weren't any. After pondering for a few quick seconds (my watch was ticking after all), I just let my instinct lead the way and set off on the middle path. I started running farther and farther into the woods and the farther I ran, the stronger my paranoia became. I tightly grasped my pepper spray and was so focused on getting OUT of the woods, that I really didn't get a chance to enjoy the serenity and peace all around me.

Anything I've ever done that ultimately was worthwhile... initially scared me to death.  ~Betty Bender

It turned out that the path I chose was the shorter path. 2.45 miles to be exact. Although I didn't complete the longer path, I think I did set a PR for fastest 2.45 miles I have ever run. I came off the trail with muddy shoes, muddy socks, a muddy calf, and a pretty big sense of accomplishment. I had quickly completed a (short) trail run. And I SURVIVED! I was not hit with a stray bullet at the hands of a nearby hunter. I did not fall in a large man-made hole. I was not hit by a random strike of lightening. I was not attacked by a lion, tiger, or bear. Unfortunately, I wasn't lucky enough to escape the mud. Shucks!

No comments:

Post a Comment