Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Fit, Fat, & Running

I am a fit fatty. Not sure if I should smile or cry. Let me back up. I had my "fitness assessment" at the gym today. It was a rather basic test, so I am not taking the results too seriously. The test consisted of the following (with my results listed):

Body Fat*: 29.2% (Rank=20%) Ouch!
BMI: 24.9 ("Average")
3-Minute Step Test: 75 (Rank=90%) Note: I could have actually done more.
1-Minute Timed Sit-Ups: 32 (Rank=90%) Note: I thought 32 was pretty bad.
Flexibility (Sit & Reach): 21 (Rank= 70%) Note: It was suggested I take up yoga.
Muscle Strength (Chest Press): 70 lbs (Rank= 80%)
Muscle Strength (Leg Press): 235 lbs (Rank=100%) Note: I apparently have strong ass legs.

*This was measured using the hand held electric device which I am hoping isn't that accurate

So what does all of this mean? Looking at my results, it appears that I am a fit fatty. According to the little battery operated hand-held device (that somehow measures the fat content on my body through the palms of my hand), I have quite a bit of body fat to lose. :-( The pleasant lady assessing me told me at least five times, "Cardio will get this (referring to my body fat) down." She probably said it at least five times and at least five times, I had to stop my hand from re-flexing and smacking her in the face. I kept thinking to myself, 'Is this lady crazy? Does she not realize that I have been doing cardio? And lots of it?!?!' But I had to remind myself that it's her job to help me, and she was right. The one thing that will get my body fat down is cardio. So, I took her advice. I left the fitness center, headed to the track (a.k.a. the hamster wheel) and ran 3 miles.

I have quite a bit of cardio planned over the next three months. I signed up for my first 1/2 marathon today!! (Feel free to cheer out loud right now). I will be running 13.1 miles on May 5th at the largest half-marathon in the country!! I have no doubt that I will be able to do it, but I kind of still can't believe that I actually am doing it. I am super excited, but also somewhat overwhelmed. I feel like there is so much to do to prepare. Will my current shoes be adequate for the distance? What will I need to wear to run 13.1 miles comfortably? What am I going to do if it rains? What if I have to pee along the way? Should I abstain from drinking water before the race? Do I need a heart monitor? A Garmin? Stinger energy gel or Sports Beans? Should Bandit come along or should I opt for a vest with pockets?!?! AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!! I still consider myself to be a new runner with a lot to learn. But for now, I will continue to run. Because if you wait until everything is perfect or if you let the uncertainty and intimidation paralyze you,  then you will never start.

So get out there and run! If this fatty can do it, so can you!

Happy running! :-)

1 comment:

  1. Woo! A half marathon! I'm so proud of you! I dream of that - but I am just trying to run not injured at the moment. We shall see how things progress. Now get out there and do some cardio! (ducks the slap).

    ReplyDelete