Friday, January 13, 2012

Quit Being a Chicken and Just Do It.....Even if You Suck at It.

After completing the 7.45 mile trail run last weekend, I felt invigorated, amazing, accomplished, but most of all, motivated. Motivated to continue pushing myself to break barriers I never thought could be broken. One question I have been asked quite a few times since last weekend is, "What are you doing to train?". I wish I had an answer for that, but to be quite honest, I don't. I just run. Leading up to last weekend, I typically ran about 3-4 times/week  usually running anywhere from 2-5 miles. When I first began running regularly, I signed up for the Active.com 10k for beginners plan, but I was not sticking to it 100%. I would just start running and let my body lead the way. At first, I was focused on time. I would try to complete 3 miles in about 30 minutes. This was comfortable for me, but I knew if I wanted to run a farther distance, I would work on my endurance. So I did. I started running for about 50-60 minutes not worried about how far I was running. So last weekend when I completed the 7.45 mile trail run, the furthest distance I had run in my "training program" was just a little over 5 miles. Luckily, I made it and made it with no injuries.

I am in no way suggesting that you begin running with no plan. In fact, I strongly suggest you find a good plan and of course, as the typical disclaimer states, always consult with your physician prior to starting any workout program.

So here I am today. 7.45 miles achieved. Yay me! I have come to realize since last weekend that I DO need to have a solid training program to achieve my next goal, completing a 1/2 marathon, and part of that training needs to be some serious strength training. This does not sit well with me. For some reason, I have always been intimidated of weight machines at gyms. Not exactly sure if it's my lack of coordination, my own insecurities, or the fact that (as I've said before) I really don't like to sweat. In any case, I know that if I want to not just be a runner, but be a damn good runner, then I'm going to need to get over it and hit the weights.

Today was my first attempt with facing my fear and heading into the part of the gym that is home to the weight lifting equipment. I wasn't even about to intrude on the hardcore weight lifters in the free-weights section, so I stuck the the circuit. Starting somewhere is better than not starting at all, right?

I completed about 5 different exercises doing 12 reps x 3 on the circuit machines and I only looked like a newbie once (I think anyways). I was on a machine that works your hamstrings. For the life of me, I could NOT figure out how to handle the bar like the happy lady in the picture on the side of the machine. Trying not to look like an idiot, despite how I felt, I just placed my hands wherever I could and made the best of it. A bystander on another machine across from me politely looked at me and said, "Ma'am, if you push that button on top of the bar, it will swing down so you can hold onto the handles." FAIL! :-(

That's okay though. The important thing is that I started. I took my first baby step. I decided to quit being a chicken. I just did it....even if I sucked at it.

On the agenda for tomorrow.....a 6 mile run.Wish me luck!

Happy running! :-)



1 comment:

  1. LOVE the "just do it". I suck at running too. But I love it. Just trying not to injure myself at the moment (using Ease into 5K - again). Looking forward to seeing how your half marathon plans progress.

    Oh, and Yay! on the 7.45 miles!

    ReplyDelete